Friday, March 21, 2014

Generations - Part One

I felt the hard concrete under my feet as I stepped out of my car.  In the back seat my 3-year old had already unbuckled her car-seat restraint and was attempting to open the door.  The child safety locks kept her safely in, until I opened the door. She hopped out with both feet firmly on the ground.  We stood together, side by side looking at the small building in front of us.  I searched for the entrance and spotted a small path leading up to the side of the structure.  I felt tiny fingers curl around my hand and we followed our footsteps towards a new beginning.

The double doors were glass and heavy and I managed to get my petite child through them without crushing any fingers or toes.  A tall desk greeted us with a smiling face behind it.  I stood tall and peered over the top of the desk for introductions and related the purpose of our visit. Kind eyes looked at me with confusion.  No new child was expected that day and the owner had not arrived yet.  I explained that I had spoken with the owner and was asked to bring my child at the hour that the large clock behind her chimed.  The kind eyes nodded and disappeared into a classroom with promise to return with an answer.
My daughter stood straight beside me, staring at the wooden wall of the tall desk flat in front of her.  I went on my tip-toes and tried to look over to the other side of the desk, as if bobbing my head above water as my body and my child lay submerged. My hand fidgeted in my purse for my planner to confirm the appointment date as my feet shuffled to find a footing. I felt cool fingers on my arm and looked down at the innocent face.  My young child stood calm in her blue, stone-washed cotton shorts with matching t-shirt, white socks folded down to her ankles securing her tiny feet in denim shoes.
I attempted a smile and let her hold my hand.  The second and then minute hands ticked away as the delicate grasp in my hand became tighter and sweaty.  I stroked her soft hair and squeezed her hand gently.
The kind woman returned and reiterated that no one was aware of a new child starting.  However, Miss Katie’s class can accommodate and I can guide my daughter towards the classroom.  We turned, hand in hand taking tentative steps towards the classroom.  Cacophony of little people voices vibrated out into the hallway through the open door.  My little girl tightened her grip on my finger and stopped mid-step.  I looked down into her dark eyes with a fan of long lashes.  She tilted her head up towards me and declared, “I…I will no cry.”
I smiled with quivering lips and allowed her to lead me to her new class. After planting a kiss on her forehead and a big wave, I turned and let the deluge flow.  The kind voice from the front desk and apologetic voice of the owner echoed around me.  I nodded, smiled and waved to them, promising to return in a few hours.

To be continued…

No comments: