Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Sounds of Silence

Silence rips through the fabric of my time
deafening my ear drums into loud hums
It slices across the room of this old house
to dissect or to rouse old demons.

Then a whisper floats, through a window hole
It comes in a howl whipping up all that is fowl,
Other sounds creep in, tentative and slow at first.

A wall clock ticks away through its revolutions,
As I ponder at this evolution,

Sliding the window up a crack, I let more sounds creep in
The angry wind lashes at me, I persevere and let it seep in

At long last the crisp dies down
I feel the breeze ruffle all around

Cardinal and blue jays sing their spring songs
Sparrows and wrens chirp and sing along

They interrupt the silence as it breathes its last breath
Silence is silenced to its own death

Rumble descends from the sky as a super jet flies by
Piercing whistle screeches in with intermittent tracks clammerin’
Unseen dogs bark in an abyss behind dark, high fences

I crank up the sound system allowing more music to flow
Simon and Garfunkel spew, Sounds of Silence, I find myself renewed
My companion in ups and downs, forever we will be bound
Music I listen to most is the serene, silent sound.

No comments: